Thursday 6 May 2010

Some thoughts about Iron Man 2

Ironman6duo_l1cftyncI have been trying to muster the energy to write about Iron Man 2 which I finally saw at the weekend. It's not that I didn't enjoy the film while watching it, rather that it all but disappeared from my brain as soon as I left the cinema. Although, from what I remember:

It's not as good as the first one.

The first half's fun. The second is muddled, unfocussed and fussy.

The Monaco sequence was nicely staged but nothing in the rest of the movie comes close to topping it.

The ending was substantially the same as the original's. Only with more metal machines for Iron Man (and Warmachine) to pummel.

Scarlett made a killer Black Widow. More please.

Mickey Rourke was a terrific Whiplash.

Sam Rockwell oozed slime brilliantly as Justin Hammer.

Downey Jr can play this character with his eyes closed. And occasionally does.

If I were to give it a star rating, I would give it three out of five. At a push.

2 comments:

Gerard said...

Agree with all. Though I'd rate it a 2.5, if pressed. I felt bad that Rourke actually put in any effort at all. He was given zip to do or work with, yet still managed develop a great characterisation.

I think Iron Man 3 should just be Downey fielding the press. The humdrum action and its awkward insertion into the story (looking at you, terrible house party melee) was by far the worst thing about this. Except, as you say, for that ace rally beatdown with Whiplash.

Mark Salisbury said...

It wasn't just me then.