Saturday 29 August 2009

A recommendation

Didn´t have time to post a review of Kathryn Bigelow´s The Hurt Locker before embarking on my holiday and don´t have the inclination to post one now (I´m on holiday, after all) but may I take this brief opportunity to kindly suggest UK readers seek it out this weekend and prove to yourself that great films are still being made. And have no doubt, The Hurt Locker is a great film. One of the very best I´ve seen this year. And because I´ve recently been inclined to include star ratings here at RWM, I would have given it ****1/2, if I´d reviewed it. Just so we´re clear.

5 comments:

Adam Newell said...

I saw this, and have to agree: it's pretty much the best film I've seen this year. It's very annoying that Bigelow has made so few films!

Gerard said...

Wanna hear a serious WTF? Arguably the biggest WTF I've heard all year? Yesterday it was announced this will bypass cinemas and go direct to DVD in Australia.

I saw it at the MIFF and was battling festival fatigue (9:30pm session immediately following a 7:30pm session after a full day in the office...) so I don't feel I got as much out of this as I would have otherwise. But I liked it. A lot. And was very excited to catch it again upon its run proper. But now...

Mark Salisbury said...

@ Gerard.

That is insane. Insane. It's a film that's a) crying out to be seen and seen BIG!

@ Adam.

Have to agree with you. She hasn't made anywhere enough films for someone of her talent. Can you imagine what she'd do with Bond?

Gerard said...

Tell me about it. It had press screenings in Sydney just two days ago, and now this is announced, completely free of explanation, today. The more I think on it, the more annoyed I get...

Mark Salisbury said...

Think how Bigelow and co must feel.