Monday, 10 August 2009

In The Loop

Finally caught up with Armando Iannucci's In The Loop on DVD the other night and if there's a funnier, more profane and acerbic comedy released this year I'll gladly eat my (metaphorical) hat. I haven't laughed out load so many times since I don't know when. (Yes, I know, I hooted throughout Superbad, but that was so base compared to this scathing political satire.) Brilliantly played by Peter Capaldi, Labour spin doctor Malcolm Tucker is a monster with a potty mouth and bite worse than anything in the animal kingdom. Now I know swearing isn't funny (okay, sometimes it is) but Tucker's colourful and imaginative use of coarse language is close to poetic. In The Loop is available in the US as a VOD as well as on a limited theatrical run. Find it. Watch it.

4 comments:

Gerard said...

I saw this recently as the MIFF (we don't get it theatrically until Boxing Day - no shit) and loved every minute. I've never seen The Thick of It. I intend to rectify this.

Mark Salisbury said...

Have to admit, I've not seen the Thick Of It either.

Steve said...

difficult difficult lemon difficult!

Mark Salisbury said...

One of many, many great lines.

Alongside "Within your 'purview'? Where do you think you are, some fucking regency costume drama? This is a government department, not some fucking Jane fucking Austen novel! Allow me to pop a jaunty little bonnet on your purview and ram it up your shitter with a lubricated horse cock!"