Wednesday 20 February 2008

Keira Knightley and Joe Wright: Mind readers

Here's the start of another one of my creative duo pieces that's in the LA Times' The Envelope magazine. Again, click the headline to read in full. There are also pieces on Ellen Page and Jason Reitman, the Coen brothers, George Clooney and Tilda Swinton, Ridley Scott and Russell Crowe.

LONDON -- "ON-SCREEN chemistry between two actors is rare," says "Atonement" star Keira Knightley. "I think creative chemistry between actor and director is even more rare -- and for some reason Joe and I have that."

The Joe of whom she speaks is, of course, Joe Wright, who directed Knightley in "Atonement" and 2005's "Pride & Prejudice," for which she received a lead actress Oscar nomination. Wright chalks up the bond with his leading lady to a kind of shorthand the two have developed. "I can look at her or she could look at me and we'd know what each other was thinking -- in terms of the filmmaking," he says.

5 comments:

Gerard said...

I think all of Knightley's films should be directed by Wright. I positively loved her in Atonement.

Mark Salisbury said...

I'm sure she wouldn't mind being directed by Joe Wright all her life too. He certainly seems to get the best out of her. I thought she was great in P&P.

Gerard said...

I've never seen that, but after really getting into Atonement, I'm going to make sure I check it out.

Mark Salisbury said...

It's a better film than Atonement IMHO.

Gerard said...

Then I shall be sure to have a look.

God I loved Atonement. I know the first act was the best part, but I was just so swept up by the whole experience. I actually wept at the end; a cinema filled with little old ladies and I'm the only one cracking a tear.

I've never read the book though, so I'm certain that helped...