Friday 15 February 2008

The Art Of Spain

Andrew Graham-Dixon's three-part BBC Four series The Art Of Spain was a terrific if whirlwind tour around that country's artistic, architectural, political, spiritual, religious and cultural history. Last night's final show was the best of the three, covering, as it did, so many of my favourite artists: Goya, Picasso, Miro, Dali and Bunuel, although part two was partly shot in my mum's home town of Toledo and featured the work of El Greco who made his reputation there. Cramming Spain's artistic triumphs into just three hours inevitably meant some glossing over, but the end result was both spectacular and masterful, and made me want to visit again soon.

2 comments:

Fer said...

Sure Sweeney's blades are made in Toledo ^_^.

Here in Spain we tend to ignore or even to despise our own culture, since we are a very influenced people, culturally talking. It always seems to us that everything that comes from out there is better than yours. Then you see all that people in the Sagrada Família and you think "hey, this is great!".

:)

Mark Salisbury said...

I know what you mean about looking out rather than looking in. All my favourite artists, apart from Bacon, are from foreign climes. And I've always wanted have a Picasso or a Miro on my wall.

And of course Sweeney's blades are from Toledo! That's where the best steel comes from...