Monday 15 March 2010

Weekend wonders

Alice In Wonderland continues its box office assault, taking $62 million in the US in its second weekend, for a North America tally of $206 million and an international take approaching $400 million.

The annual SXSW Festival is currently underway in Austin, Texas, where Matthew Vaughn's Kick-Ass premiered to ecstatic reviews, while Robert Rodriguez offered the first glimpse of Predators, directed by Nimrod Antal which he's produced.



The brief footage looks promising, but I have to say I've always had a soft spot for Stephen Hopkins' often-maligned Predator 2 which, despite being a total Aliens rip-off, is OTT fun and features another gloriously entertaining Bill Paxton performance.




Is David Fincher turning into Steven Soderbergh? By that I mean, is Fincher gearing up to Soderbergh levels of productivity? I certainly hope so. With The Social Network due late this year, Saturday brought news that Fincher is circling Sony's English-language remake of The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo which, to my mind is a marriage made in cinematic heaven, especially with Carey Mulligan top of the studio's wish list to play Lisbeth Salander. 


Variety is also reporting that Fincher is also interested in directing Sony's chess drama Pawn Sacrifice, detailing Bobby Fischer 1972 victory over Russian chess champion Boris Spassky, which Tobey Maguire will produce and possibly star in.


The more Fincher the better...

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I agree with you about more Fincher. Bring it on.

As for this new PREDATORS film, the footage does look promising and it seems like they are going for genuine scares and I also like that none of the Predators will be CGI!

As for PREDATOR 2... ahh, I really can't get behind that one. I've tried to get into it but each time the ridiculousness of the script just ruins it for me. Also, Dark Horse Comics did a great semi-sequel to the first film which also took place in L.A. but was way much cooler. I always wish that they had used that as a basis for the film instead.

Mark Salisbury said...

I haven't read that. Must look out for it. Do you remember who wrote it?

Unknown said...

Mark:

You can actually get in trader paperback form: PREDATOR: CONCRETE JUNGLE:

http://www.amazon.com/Predator-Concrete-Jungle-Mark-Verheiden/dp/1569711658/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1268672728&sr=1-2

Written by Chris Warner.

Mark Salisbury said...

Thanks for that JD.

Roger Edwards said...

Okay, guilty M'lud, for drifting into a stupor after seeing that Fox were milking the "Predator" franchise for another cash cow outing.

But I instantly woke up when I saw, Brody and Fishburne's names attached to the project.

But then I had a relapse when I saw that the director's pedigree was not exactly outstanding. Did you see "Armored"?

I'm left in a state of confusion. Will we get an offbeat, revisionist action film that dares to be different? Or just another PG-13 rated, fan boy made genre insult.

I hate the way Hollywood is making me so cynical.

Oh and I always liked "Predator 2".

Mark Salisbury said...

@ Roger

Not sure what they're aiming for re: the rating. I have a vague recollection of Rodriguez talking about it being an R but considering it's a summer release from Fox, I think that's unlikely.

Didn't see Armored. Nor Vacancy for that matter. But I liked his debut, Kontroll, quite a bit.

Another Predator 2 fan. Yah!