Monday 22 February 2010

BAFTA winners

Hooray for The Hurt Locker which pretty much swept the BAFTAs last night, winning six awards in total including Best Film and Best Director for Kathryn Bigelow. I was thrilled, too, with the wins for Colin Firth, Carey Mulligan, Up and A Prophet, although slightly surprised that, Mulligan part, An Education was snubbed. Great, too, to see an emotional Duncan Jones pick up the Carl Foreman Award for Moon.


As for the ceremony itself which I watched from the comfort of my own home, I was less wowed. Host Jonathan Ross' script could have done with a lift and some gags that were actually funny — me thinks James Corden might get his wish next year.


And what the heck was Mickey Rourke on about when he began by asking "Do you want me to do this bareback or wearing a raincoat?" I mean, I know what he was on about, but what did it have to do with presenting the Best Actress Award... Okay, now I get it.


Kudos to Colin Firth for the best speech of the night, although I thought the A Prophet gang ran a close second.


Best Film: The Hurt Locker
Best Actress: Carey Mulligan, An Education
Best Actor: Colin Firth, A Single Man
Best Director: Kathryn Bigelow, The Hurt Locker
Best Foreign Language Film: A Prophet
Best Animated Film: Up
Best Adapted Screenplay: Jason Reitman and Sheldon Turner, Up In The Air
Rising Star Award: Kristen Stewart
Best Production Design: Rick Carter, Robert Stromberg and Kim Sinclair, Avatar
Best Original Screenplay: Mark Boal, The Hurt Locker
Best British Film: Fish Tank
Best Supporting Actress: Mo’Nique, Precious
Best Makeup and Hair: Jenny Shircore, The Young Victoria
Best Costume Design: Sandy Powell, The Young Victoria
Best Supporting Actor: Christoph Waltz, Inglourious Basterds
Best Visual Effects: Avatar
Best Cinematography: Barry Ackroyd, The Hurt Locker
Best Film Editing: Bob Murawski and Chris Innis, The Hurt Locker
Best Music: Michael Giacchino, Up
Best Sound: The Hurt Locker
Carl Foreman Award (Best Debut by a British Writer, Director or Producer): Duncan Jones, Moon
Best Short Film: I Do Air
Best Animated Short: Mother Of Many
Outstanding Contribution to British Cinema: Joe Dunton

No comments: