Tuesday 7 October 2008

W.

I don't claim to be an Oliver Stone fan. I've probably liked about half of his output (The Hand, Salvador, JFK, Platoon, NBK, Born On The Fourth Of July and U-Turn) but haven't actually been excited by anything he's done in years. Until now. And a film about a man I have no love for. But, goddamit, I can't wait to see W.

The US reviews have started to run and Variety and Hollywood Reporter are mixed although everyone seems to be raving about Josh Brolin's performance. The film's playing at the LFF so I'll have a chance to make my own mind up soon enough.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm a pretty big Stone fan and I am looking forward to this one but I think that the problem will be that he rushed post-production to make the Oct. 17 deadline. He really should've taken more time instead of trying to get out before the US election. Oh well, I'm sure he'll re-cut it for the DVD release if that's an issue.

Mark Salisbury said...

If Alexander is anything to go by, we'll have differing cuts until the next election.

Unknown said...

i can never decide if i like alexander or not...

Mark Salisbury said...

Bad hair. Nuff said. Then again, there's Rosario Dawson...

Unknown said...

Yeah, there's a lot to be said for Dawson!

Stone's last pass at the film on DVD was pretty good but it still is riddled with flaws but I could see it becoming a camp classic in a few years -- if only for Angelina Jolie's vamp-ish accent.