Friday 11 September 2009

Back from Venice

The Venice Film Festival continues until Saturday but I'm now back in the UK having seen many more films than I managed to review here, including Claire Denis' White Material (which I liked), Patrice Chéreau's Persécution (which I didn't), Antoine Fuqua's Brooklyn's Finest, starring Richard Gere, Ethan Hawke and Don Cheadle, and Alex Cox's non-sequel sequel to Repo Man, Repo Chick. Overall the quality was pretty good. I only walked out of two movies, which isn't bad for a week at a film festival.

I also managed to snag interviews with the legendary George A Romero and jury member Joe Dante, who will be premiering his latest The Hole in 3D in Venice today. Dante, who I've interviewed before, was refreshingly candid as per usual, talking about his position in Hollywood, the problems he faced on his last studio film, Loony Tunes: Back In Action and while he's unlikely to direct a Gremlins 3.

I've said it before, but I'll say it again, I love Venice. The city, itself, never ceases to amaze to me, while the festival is so much more relaxed and user friendly than Cannes, and so, to my mind, simply can't be beat.

No comments: