Wednesday 26 November 2008

Mamma bleedin' mia

Day one sales of Mamma Mia! have beaten Titanic's record to become the fastest selling DVD of all time in the UK, according to screendaily. Sales reached 1.669 million copies, following its launch on November 24. The previous record for day one DVD sales was held by James Cameron's nautical blockbuster which sold 1.1 million copies on its first day of release in 1998 in the UK. Mamma Mia! also holds the record for the highest-grossing British movie of all time in the UK, having so far taken a whopping £66,995,244 at the UK box office.

I haven't seen it. Nor do I want to. It's not that I've got anything against Abba per se. I have been known to dance, occasionally, to Abba at weddings and birthday parties and the like. But I do this occasionally. Refuse to see the movie everybody has seen. A case it point, it took me an absolute age to see The Full Monty. In fact, I only relented when I had to interview one of its stars for the video release. (Wow, video. Showing my age now...) Otherwise I would have held out for even longer.

7 comments:

Stram said...

The thing is, The Full Monty was a good movie. Mama Mia is not. I've seen it, and i really didn't like it. There is no story, the songs are badly sung and it's just annoying to see people partying all the time for nothing. I just don't get why people want to buy it....

Mark Salisbury said...

I liked The Full Monty when I finally saw it. It's an entertaining film, not a great one.

Gerard said...

What the hell - Mamma Mia?? Really, UK?

Dark Knight releases in a few weeks - should sort this out...

Meanwhile, speaking of entertaining (but not great) films, seen Australia?

Mark Salisbury said...

Nah. There was a screening here tonight but I couldn't make it. I'll get round to it soon enough.

Seeing Ben Button tomorrow, though...

Mark Salisbury said...

Dark Knight's gonna sell well but not this well. No way...

Gerard said...

It's not bad. I enjoyed it on the whole, but there is plenty - plenty - wrong with it. And Ben Button, fantastic! Enjoy!

Gina Sackman said...

There is definitely plenty wrong with "Mamma Mia". I know nothing about film direction, but I do know this was an incredibly shoddy attempt at it. Alas, I didn't even manage to enjoy myself, which I was hoping to because I had a crappy day and decided to go see it to cheer myself up. It felt like I was watching 60 year old women being "WOO! girls" as "How I Met Your Mother" put it perfectly in last week's episode. Which is obviously quite annoying.

Doesn't hurt that I can't really stand ABBA.