Wednesday 30 July 2008

I'm back...

... but still in post-holiday funk so I'll be treading light in these pastures for a day or so while I acquaint myself with the Comic-Con coverage I missed while I was away and get my head around The Dark Knight numbers which are looking Titanic.

I was going to wait until I saw it again to weigh in on TDK but who knows when that's going to be.

I think Chris Nolan's one of the most talented (and nicest) filmmakers currently working, and I'm pleased for him that the movie's doing such amazing business, and it is hugely entertaining.

But — and just to throw a little oil on the fire now I'm back — it is too long, the third act's messy and overly complicated (did anyone really care about all that stuff on the boats or the hostages-dressed-up-as-terrorists mobile phone vision action sequence?) and the movie just isn't as good when Ledger's not onscreen.

Is it better than most superhero movies? You bet. Is it better than most summer blockbusters? Most definitely. Is it better than Batman Begins? I'm not sure. I need to see it again.

Venice looks very promising. As I've said before, it's my favourite film festival and I shall be spending some time on the Lido again this year.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Going to Venise again? Lucky you! It indeed looks good, beginning with the last Coen Brothers!

Gerard said...

Welcome back! As for TDK, just watch how repeat viewings smooth it out for you. Better than Begins? Totally. No tonal shift, no "I gotta get me one of those!," no "We're right on top of this thing and it's gonna blow!" silliness... Like Begins, the bigger aspects of its final act are its weakest threads, but its much more of a complete experience, I felt. And honestly, I just plain don't feel those 2.5hrs. I do agree, though - when Ledger's not around you're itching for him to return, so ridiculously good was he. I'm hoping a third film, should it happen (and at these numbers, how could it not?) will bring Bale back front and centre, though. We need a villain who's going to get to Bruce just as much as the Batman...

Mark Salisbury said...

I shall let you know my thoughts, once I've seen it again.

Gerard said...

I do look forward to it. But hell, so long as we're agreed that it's pretty damn fantastic, all's right in the world :) My Joker shirt arrived in the post today. Awesome.

On a no way related topic, what of these Depp as Hatter stories? As far as I can tell they came from The Sun and with no source, now everywhere's running it as truth. Incidentally, any word as to whether we can expect an Alice or Frankenweenie companion following your wonderful Sweeney book?

Unknown said...

Yeah, TDK did not feel overlong to me either. It was just right with all of the subplots meshing with the overall one rather nicely. And yeah, Heath Ledger steals every scene he's in but the rest of the film is quite strong. I also thought that Aaron Eckhart was excellent. Not a big fan of his work usually but he hit this one out of the park.