Monday 1 September 2008

Monday musing

Today's my last day here in Venice but I've got a couple more films to see before I head off to the airport. It's been an okay year in terms of quality with only a couple movies of exceptional quality, several others jostling in the category marked "good/very good", and more than a few turkeys. I have a number of reviews still to write, among them Ponyo On The Cliff By The Sea which I loved enormously and which is tying with Valentino as my favourite of the festival thus far. The imagination involved is extraordinary and the film must be a serious contender for The Golden Lion. Ciao for now...

4 comments:

Gerard said...

SO glad to read of your Ponyo love!

Mark Salisbury said...

It's really rather wonderful. I'll have my review up soon.

Gerard said...

Can't wait to read - I'm a Miyazaki whore. But speaking of genius animated features, I FINALLY saw WALL-E on Sunday. My new favourite Pixar, and I'd argue their greatest. Just gorgeous.

Mark Salisbury said...

As much as I love the first half of Wall-E, I think I still prefer The Incredibles.