Monday 8 December 2008

Films Of The Year preamble

At some point in the next couple of weeks I'll be compiling my films of the year list. I have been steadily making my way through my pile of BAFTA screeners and yet I have a sizeable list of titles still to see. To be frank, it hasn't been what I would call a vintage year for movies, certainly I haven't seen anything on a par with Zodiac or The Assassination Of Jesse James By The Coward Robert Ford from last year, films that I came out of on a cinematic cloud, films that I'd happily call masterpieces and defend them against all comers. And yet, there have been a handful I would consider to be very, very good indeed, bordering on excellent. I have a sneaking suspicion I know what my top film is already, but, like I said, I have a number of potential candidates yet to watch, any of which could throw a spanner in my list.

3 comments:

Gerard said...

Not even WALL-E? Also, have you seen Hunger?

Mark Salisbury said...

Hunger is one of those on the "to watch" pile.

Wall-E I'm going to rewatch soon. I think the first half, when it's virutally a silent movie, is a sheer delight, but the second half doesn't quite match up...

Gerard said...

Hunger = incredible. Probably second to WALL-E as my favourite I've seen this year (excluding things like Sweeney and Diving Bell that released everywhere else last year), but, that said, I'm still yet to see Ben Button, Milk, Slumdog Millionaire, Revolutionary Road, etc etc.

And I certainly agree WALL-E's first half is its strongest, but I LOVE the second half - the whole thing managed to be both gorgeous romance and genius science fiction, and how often can you say that? I love what it did with the humans and whatnot - honestly, zero complaints here. Just magic.