Wednesday 23 January 2008

Heath Ledger

Heath Ledger was a phenomenal talent and his untimely death in New York late yesterday, be it tragic accident or otherwise, has robbed the world of an exceptional actor and a young daughter of a father she'll probably remember only through his movies. I met him a few times and he always seemed like a good guy to me. It was just over a fortnight ago I was on the set of Terry Gilliam's The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus in which he starred. After filming in London, they still had about a month's worth of green screen to do in Canada, so that film's future is, one suspects, uncertain. He was only 28. May he rest in peace...

3 comments:

Gerard said...

I am genuinely upset. I came to work this morning and didn't believe the whisperings, but when I saw those words on the Sydney Morning Herald website - 'Heath Ledger Dead At 28' - I felt like I'd been kicked in the throat.

I had really come to appreciate Ledger over the past few years, and he'd quickly become one of my favourite actors, as well as an individual whom I deepy admired.

I'm still quite shocked, to be honest, and find it very difficult to accept. He was too young, he'd finally hit his stride, hell - he's the Joker!

A sad and tragic end. His absence will be noticed.

Mark Salisbury said...

I'm with you on that Gerard. I was online last night when the story broke and was in a state of shock when I read it. Still feel that way this morning. So young, so talented... And a father too.

Gerard said...

I know. That poor kid. Two years old.

That interview quote about him saying that he's okay with death now he has Matilda as he'll live on in her, but at the same time wanting to live for her whole life to be there for her... man. It breaks my heart.