Tuesday 6 April 2010

TV heaven

The sixth and final season of Lost has, so far, lived up to my expectations, teasingly offering answers to much debated questions and yet still stubbornly refusing to offer — so far — the ultimate solution to the eternal mystery: what is the island? Season two of True Blood, too, is an improvement on the first which I enjoyed enormously. But, by far the best programme on TV at the moment is Mad Men which, for British viewers, is now well into season three. Superbly written, deftly played, gloriously crafted, brilliantly nuanced, every episode is an unalloyed joy, a journey of discovery for the viewer. At the beginning of each episode I have no idea where I'm headed. But whenever I end up, the ride's always been an extraordinary one.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

season 3 continued to be as brilliant as the previous. season 4 cannot come soon enough for me.

Mark Salisbury said...

So jealous you've seen the whole of season three. Keeping myself well clear of anything remotely spoilerish...

Mark Salisbury said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Karen at Johnny Depp Reads said...

Oh you are going to LOVE LOVE LOVE the last half of season 3!!! No hints, no spoilers...just watch it. This and "The Good Wife" are my favorites now, the writing on both series is just stellar as the casting is perfect in both. We have "Mad Men" parties in my group and serve retro dinners with martinis and/or manhattans. JUST like our parents did back then. We even have an arthouse type theater complex that shows the new Mad Men episodes for free on the big screen and offers "real" cocktails for sale inside the theater. GOTTA love it. How far are you into the season??? Ohhhhh I can't wait to visit with you all about it. OK...I'll quit jumping up and down here...

Mark Salisbury said...

Will be watching the latest episode tonight which, I believe, is about Roger's daughter's wedding. Can't wait.

Retro parties, eh? That's what I call viewer participation!

Stram said...

It seems that there is each month more and more amazing tv show to watch. Mad Men is amazing. I'm waiting for Treme to begin now, it should be very very good too! Something with me and HBO I guess...

Mark Salisbury said...

Can't wait for Treme. The BFI Southbank is holding an HBO weekend this month and they're showing the first episode plus a whole bunch of other stuff.