Monday 20 July 2009

Forty years ago...

I'm not old enough to remember Neil Armstrong walking on the moon, but the Apollo 11 mission and the subsequent lunar landings, as well as the various Space Shuttle trips, have always fascinated me. As a kid I built space rockets and knew who every astronaut was. I've visited the Kennedy Space Centre in Florida, and have even been to the original Mission Control in Houston where the Apollo missions were co-ordinated from, so I guess you could call me a space geek.

And so the 40th anniversary of Armstrong stepping out onto the lunar surface and uttering those immortal words "One small step for man, one giant leap for mankind" and the attendant media coverage and avalanche of documentaries and television programmes surrounding it, has been most welcome in my household.

I've also been glued to this terrific website which is tracking the Apollo 11 mission in "real-time" and which I heartily recommend checking out.

No comments: