Monday 31 December 2007

Out with the old...

This time of year tends to bring with it thoughts of reflection and a general sense of taking stock, even as one looks forward to the new. And so who am I to buck the trend...

I started reel world matters back in March shortly after Premiere, a magazine I'd loved since it was launched in 1989 and which I'd written for since 1995, folded. I wanted a site that reflected my cinematic interests, and since then have tried to fill it on a (mostly) daily basis with news and views of anything movie-related that takes my fancy, and, fortunately, those interests seem to be shared by many of you too.

I've appreciated every one of you dropping by and offering your comments, which has always been smart and considered. I've even met some of you in person, while with others it's been an online alliance, but I hope it continues into 2008 and beyond.

On the movie front, 2007 was, at least, something of a vintage year in terms of quality, even if the summer was crammed with far too many medicore threquels. The Coens came back strong, Fincher produced a near masterpiece that was mostly ignored, a fate that also befell Andrew Dominik's sensational Assassination Of Jesse James By The Coward Robert Ford, the latter two films that won't be in with a sniff of an award come Oscar time and that breaks my heart.

Still Sweeney Todd garnered Tim some of the best reviews of his career, and deservedly so, while my making of book — judging by the response and feedback on this site and elsewhere — appears to have also gone down well, which is very gratifying. Plus, Ace In The Hole and Blade Runner were finally released on DVD. My collection increased dramatically this year, but the arrival of those two, plus Richard Stanley's Dust Devil in a super-duper box set which managed to mispell my name on the cover, were the most welcome.

Who knows what 2008 will bring, but, for now, I must return to my BAFTA viewing, although I will be back early in the New Year with a round up of everything I've seen so far. Which, I must say, has been a very fine bunch of films.

Until then...

Happy New Year!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

just because it's 2008 in England before it's 2008 here in the states doesn't mean you'll be drunk sooner than me, tough guy.

i'll toast a cup of earl grey to you on the morning of 1/1/08.






queue "Tomorrow, Tomorrow" by Elliot Smith.

Mark Salisbury said...

And I shall raise a cup of English breakfast in return.

See you on the other side...

Have a good one!