Thursday 8 November 2007

Strike! Strike! Strike!

I've not posted about the WGA strike up until now because there are others out in the blogosphere better placed (ie. in LA) and better informed (ie. striking screenwriters) to offer their perspective on the matter. Suffice to say, as somebody who writes for a living, I'm with them. I write a book, I get royalties from it (if it sells, that is). I write an article for a magazine, the article gets syndicated, I get a cut of the fee. Kind of figures that if you write a script to a movie that makes money (be it theatrically, on DVD, or from downloads), you're entitled to a fair share of the profits. The WGA is asking for 8 cents for every DVD sold, up from 4. If you ask me, that's still not enough. Other people are making money from movies, why shouldn't the writer. Maybe that's a simplistic argument, but it seems a pretty reasonable one.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

i agree!

in other news, the jj abrams project (www.1-18-08.com) has gotten weirder. i don't know if anyone has been keeping up with this, but on the site, if you click on whatever postcard is upfront, and drag left-right-left (like you're flipping it over) the pictures/postcards whatever actually turn over. i don't know what the purpose of this is, but i'm having one of my japanese co-workers translate some stuff. also, there's new messages on www.slusho.jp

it's nearly january and there's NO new info out on this movie?? if ONLY there was some connected hollywood critic guy to save us from this pit of anguish and viral marketing ploys...

Mark Salisbury said...

Thanks for the tip. I'd been wondering if you could flip them and it's nice to see that yo can.

Do let me know what you discover. My Japanese isn't too good...

Unknown said...

Here is the email I just got back:
------
Hey,

This is a cooking recipe for gorgeous Japanese noodle soup.
Do you think this is super confidential info from competitors price quote?

Andy
------
I love my Japanese co-workers.

Mark Salisbury said...

That's too bizarre